Notifications

Login or Register

You are not logged in. In order to create slideshows you must have an account.

Password
Forgot your password? Don't have an account?

Add Slideshow

× 200

× Success

British Columbia Factbook: Solar Energy

TEXT

Larger Larger Smaller Smaller

This infographic about solar energy is from the British Columbia Factbook.

Download the PDF in the Learning Activity to look at solar energy in British Columbia...

For more information on BC's energy mix, click on the other Factbook pages linked here...

Download the PDF in the Learning Activity to look at solar energy in British Columbia.

For more information on BC's energy mix, click on the other Factbook pages linked here.

With more than 90 per cent of its electricity coming from hydropower you’d think B.C. wouldn’t bother with other renewables, but it’s becoming a leader in solar power too. Outside of Kimberly — on the site of an abandoned silver, zinc and lead mine — sits SunMine, B.C.’s largest solar project and Canada’s largest tracking system (the solar panels automatically track the sun). With more than 300 days of sunshine a year, SunMine is able to generate enough electricity to power 200 homes.

As the sun’s energy makes its way through the atmosphere some of it is reflected back into space and the rest is filtered by oxygen, nitrogen, ozone, water vapour and other substances. Of the incredible 63,000,000 watts per square meter of energy the sun emits, only about 546.8 watts per square metre actually reach the earth’s surface.

Source:

Canadian Geographic

Show Me More [+] Show Me Less [–]

Renewable Energy in British Columbia
    Map of British Columbia

Contact Us

Contact us with any questions or concerns