Notifications

Login or Register

You are not logged in. In order to create slideshows you must have an account.

Password
Forgot your password? Don't have an account?

Add Slideshow

× 200

× Success

Alberta Factbook: Coal

TEXT

Larger Larger Smaller Smaller

This infographic about coal is from the Alberta Factbook.

Download the PDF in the Learning Activity to look at how coal is used in Alberta...

For more information on Alberta's energy mix, click on the other Factbook pages linked here...

Download the PDF in the Learning Activity to look at how coal is used in Alberta.

For more information on Alberta's energy mix, click on the other Factbook pages linked here.

Alberta operates 10 coal mines containing 70 per cent of Canada’s coal reserves and,
    along with B.C. and Saskatchewan, accounts for almost all of the country’s coal production. Coal provides about 43 per cent of Alberta’s electricity and is also exported by rail through British Columbia and then shipped to Japan, China and South Korea.

Alberta’s coal resources are found on the plains, where strip-mining and open pit-mining are used to remove coal near the surface, as well as in the foothills and Rocky Mountains, where both surface and underground mining methods are used.

Although coal was once mined in Edmonton, Lethbridge, Drumheller, Canmore and the area that is now Banff National Park, today most of Alberta’s coal mines are in the central and west-central parts of the province. The largest open-pit coal mine in Canada is the Highvale Mine, covering more than 125 square kilometres west of Edmonton near Wabamun.

Source:

Canadian Geographic

Show Me More [+] Show Me Less [–]

Alberta Energy Production
    Highvale Mine

Contact Us

Contact us with any questions or concerns